Monday, April 30, 2007

Today's Class

Today we had a speaker come to class to discuss search engine optimization. He discussed how some websites are set up to produce certain results from different searches. They can make changes that might not be noticeable to the customer, but optimize the structure in order for easy extraction of the page by search engines. He talked about Google quite frequently which was helpful because I was easy to follow what he was saying by different examples he gave that I see on a daily basis. I'm not quite sure what his job is, but he did cover a lot of difficult information and made it relatable to our class and what we are currently studying.

3 comments:

rcarman said...

He was a very interesting speaker. It seems that everyone who comes to our class to talk can relate Google to their particular job one way or another. It really is amazing the way Google dominants an online marketplace that crosses so many bounds.

Matt Kates said...

I'm amazed at the rapid expantion of google as a funtional internet tool. Whether it is it seeping into 'pop-culture' so deeply when people refer to searching for something online as 'googling it', or its expantion into many different services and activities, google has taken over the internet.
I agree with Roger...they just seem to be dominating so many different parts of the way people use the web.

Kerri Angell said...

I'm so glad you guys both commented. I agree with Matt about what he said about how rapidly Google has expanded already in our lifetime. I can't believe how much of the market they dominate and how "googling" is used as a verb by even myself.